Sunday, July 18, 2010

Episode 2 from; Cow Road and Altar Linen

Hail justa beatin down on my roof shelter. Hail was falling
around me in a circle indicated by the roof. Its always crazy
to view yourself in these iffy situations like what was my
reason for this or why did I forget this or that..It did not get to if
I get out of this alive assertion cause before it came to that
I had decided my knees could not fail me now regardless of
the their complaints.. At first pause in hail storm I was out of there.
I would come back for my gear when I found my car.


I walked and walked but the hail had pasted. What had failed
to pass was nagging knees. I practiced the art of lightly steppin.
No heels first just the balls of my feet touching the road
then laying an even flow motion till full weight was transferred
from one knee unto the next over and over till the next horizon
came and went.It was the suffering of bad knees hell realm .

Finally I came to a lone road side trailer house. There a women
was tending her vegetable garden. The garden women stood as
I walked gingerly past ,"ya lost, Mister" she called, "No, No", weakly
I replied. Thinking to myself ,"Of course I am lost damn it women",
do you think I am out here prancing like a diva in front of your damn
trailer for arts sake! Its a well accepted fact that a man should never
admit to any kind of confusion or loss . We would rather the next step
be over into the abyss of hell.
On I walked.

About sunset I found a highway and struck my thumb out like
some mile stone had been made and progress was underway.
But which side of the road to stand? I stood the side chosen
and waited for my deliverance to arrive. It wasn't too bad I had
always been lucky at hitch-hiken and after a short while a van
of hippies pulled over and the side door rolled open and in
I hopped to the smell of sweet smoke.

I was tired. Getting off my knees made me realize fancy
pants steppin took a lot of effort. "Where you headed buddy"?
",White Canyon" , I replied. "Where's that", the driver wanted
to know. "White Canyon Park, I think", says me. On we drove.
After some minutes the driver says :"we're headed to such and
such" "Is that goin toward Cloudcroft", Says I? "No, No, we past
Cloudcroft while back, " "Stop the truck"! I yelled.

There I was standing on the side of the Highway my mood was growing darker
then my pitiful heart. However, I reasoned  now I knew which side of the
frigging road to stand on! If I could have climbed out of my body I
would have punched the shit outa myself right then and there. However I
reasoned its possible I couldn't keep me from stompin my self's ass.
This was simply too existential for my emotional state to abide.
A new opportunity came driving toward me and my dark mind luckily.

This angel chariot emanated as an old fifties Chevy pick up.
"We're goin in to Cloudcroft " said the angel,."Me too", says I.
"Get in the back". I realized hypothermia going fifty miles per
hour in the back of this ole pick up. How far to Cloudcroft I
thought as I worked my muscle shivers in fast massage.I'll pass
on delivering a long "how cold was it". Those shivers were
strongest shiver jerks I have had.

The ole pick up pulled up to a stop on Main Street,Cloudcroft N.Mexico.
I leap from the pick up with plenty of thank yous. Straight to a westerner
styled long narrow bar and ordered peanuts and beer. Its all they served.
I looked around refraining myself from screaming " I am back from out there,
I survived ! Call off the man hunt", " I m still alive! "beers all around".
Nobody paid the least bit of attention.

Bartender brought my beer and peanuts. I inquired about a room ,he snorted,
"this is fourth July ain't no rooms in this town,". Nobody seemed the least
bit aware of my episode. I considered with more attention my situation.
I was warming up and more comfortable. Then again, the bar would soon
close and I couldn't curl up right there and sleep the night. I paid my bill and
went outside to survey the possible opportunities that this hamlet might provide.


Nothin looked very hopeful  both right or left. I was feelin the chill
and thinkin more determinedly to be out of the elements. Finally a little
further to my left I saw a small tiny Catholic church. It was like a toy
church..Something tourist might find adorable. I sought shelter from
the chill walking across Main street also known as Highway82.

Sacred Heart Catholic Church's door opened freely for my weary
bones I stepped inside closing the wooden door quickly behind.
A few rows of pews and then the podium awaited on a small platform.
I thought it might be better to remove my wet cloths away from my
shivering muscles.There stood I naked in Sacred Heart Catholic church.
Above me the levitating Crucifix forgiving my sins.
I would need plenty of that..........

to be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment